Americans By Choice is a national, membership-based organization supporting immigration reform. We value the positive contributions immigrants make to America, and we support immigration reform that makes it easier for the world’s most talented, innovative, and motivated people to live and work in America legally, to create jobs here, and to contribute to a growing American economy.
What We Believe
- Immigration has been good for America historically and can continue to be good for America in the future.
- Immigrants are catalysts for economic growth, not burdens on society.
- America should expand channels for people with something to offer – a professional skill, job-creating business, special knowledge, or willingness to work hard – to enter the country legally. This includes visa reform aimed at high education, high skill professionals, entrepreneurs, and college students, and a guest worker program for laborers.
- Legal status and citizenship can be treated as separate issues. Most immigrants are primarily interested in opportunity, work, and holding legal status. Obtaining citizenship is secondary.
- America needs a realistic and pragmatic approach to the millions of undocumented people living in the country that is consistent with our national heritage and that respects the dignity of individuals.
- The need to secure the Mexican border is a legitimate concern but cannot be an excuse for lack of action on other immigration issues.
- Undocumented individuals who commit other crimes should be dealt with in accordance with the law, including being subject to deportation.